During retirement, your gross pension amount will be subject to various deductions, including income tax and discretionary deductions.

Income tax

Income tax is generally a mandatory deduction, and will be calculated based only on your TRAF pension. Income from other sources is not taken into consideration. If you will have other income during retirement, you may wish to increase the amount of income tax withheld from your pension.

Your tax deduction is based on the TD1 tax forms you submit when you apply for your pension.

If you live outside of Canada, income tax will be deducted at the non-resident rate in accordance with the country in which you reside.

Discretionary deductions

Depending on the benefits you select at retirement, the deductions below may be taken off your gross pension amount.

Although TRAF accepts deductions for these organizations, we do not administer the benefits they provide. Therefore, it is essential that you contact each organization directly if you have any questions regarding their benefits.

If you move out of Manitoba, contact your insurance provider to determine if you will still be eligible for coverage or if your coverage will change.

OrganizationPhone numberToll-free
Johnson (RTAM members only)1-877-989-2600
Manitoba Blue Cross204-775-01511-800-873-2583
The Civil Service Superannuation Board (CSSB)204-946-32001-800-432-5134